São Cristóvão , Saint Christopher is a Brazilian city in the Northeastern state of Sergipe. Its population was 75,353 (2005) and its area is 437 km². It is the third largest settlement in the state, behind
and Nossa Senhora do Socorro. Aracaju
It was established by the Portuguese (in a time when
Portugal, Spain and the Naples kingdoms were under the rule of Philip II of Spain) as one of the first colonization attempts in Sergipe, which makes the city the fourth oldest one in . The development of the town occurred following the Portuguese urban model, that is, in two plans: the higher town, where the headquarters of the civil and religious powers are; and lower town, with the harbour, the factories, and the low income population . It was the state capital until 1855, when the provincial president Inácio Joaquim Barbosa moved the capital to Brazil . Aracaju
In 1967, the city was designated a national monument to preserve its colonial architecture. Among the important sacred buildings are the Church and Convent of São Francisco (which date from 1693), the Santa Casa de Misericordia (17th century Sisters of Mercy hospital), the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception of Mary (1751), the Mother Church of Our Lady of Victory (1766) and several other important churches from the 18th century, including the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary of Colored Men, the Church of Our Lady of Amparo, and the Monastery of São Bento. The
Museum of Sacred Art of the Church and Convent of São Francisco, is considered the third most important in . Brazil
In 2010 it was selected as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
The city is a shipping port, and its main industries are sugar milling and distilling.